This guide is based on the official guide from TPCi.
The VG Rules, Formats, & Penalty Guidelines, section 3.3, states: “All Premier Events must be tethered by QR Code unless they are operated by, or in conjunction with, The Pokémon Company International.” This has two main functions: it prevents modification of the Battle Team during the tournament and sets the rules and regulations of the tournament.
To create a QR code, you’ll utilize Pokémon Global Link:
- Visit Pokémon Global Link and log in using your Pokémon Trainer Club account.
- You will be prompted to choose which game to use in Pokémon Global Link. You must choose Pokémon Ultra Sun or Pokémon Ultra Moon in order to create a QR code for the current format. (If you need help linking your game to your account, see the Pokémon Global Link registration guide)
- Click Friendly Competition on the left navigation bar.
- Click Host a Competition in the upper right corner.
- Choose the Create A Competition button in the Live section (near the bottom).
- Select the following options for your event:
- Battle Format: Double
- Eligible Pokémon: Legendary Rules / Limited to those obtained in Pokémon Sun, Pokémon Moon, Pokémon Ultra Sun, or Pokémon Ultra Moon
- Item: Z-Crystal: Allowed / Mega Stone: Allowed
- Time Limits: Your Time [7 min.]
- Maximum Number of Battles: 30
- Click Confirm the info.
- Review the information, then click Register.
- Click Display The QR Code.
NOTE: Pokémon Global Link only allows each account to have one event live at a time. If you want to (for example) host a Premier Challenge and Midseason Showdown on the same day, it is recommended to have another Professor make the second QR code.